November 11, 2011

I need rehab.

My drug of choice is shopping...specifically bargain shopping...all the Black Friday and leading up to Black Friday insanity is overkill for me right now. It's not healthy how much joy I get by buying something for significantly less than it was originally marked. Like REALLY not healthy. I could literally spend hours searching the internet for deals...what am I saying, could? I HAVE spent hours looking up the best deal on this or that.

I heard it said once that a man would spend $2 on a $1 item if it meant he didn't have to shop around and a woman would spend $1 on a $2 item she didn't need just because it was on sale.

That is me. And my husband.

I have absolutely NO need for anything right now...sure, I'd like a new living room couch and a flat screen 60" Plasma 3D TV and a few new camera lenses and...and...and...that's the problem. The list of "ands" never ends...and it never will. Because there's always going to be a newest, latest this or that. It's one reason I've avoided the iphone like it was the black death (nothing against the phones themselves or any of my wonderful friends who have them) but it's one more step into a world I'm already far too tempted to join. Don't misunderstand, there's nothing wrong with stuff or bargain shopping but I've realized lately that the "stuff" and the "pursuit" of the stuff have taken much too important roles in my life. So, this is me putting myself in retail rehab. I'm sure I'll still buy Joshua and the kids' Christmas gifts on or around Black Friday but this year, I'm going to try and remember that it's not about the stuff...it's not about how much money I save or spend...it's about what we need. We need each other. We need Christ. That's it.

0 comments: