September 5, 2011

Florida


Well. We're happily in Florida...sadly it's less sunny Florida and more tropical storm Florida but we expect clear skies again soon. The drive took a total of 18 hours...4 to get to Grandma's house-normally only takes 3 but we had a few stops in town before we could really hit the road. Once we had Grandma in tow, we drove overnight (so the kiddos would sleep more) 14 hours to Nana's house. I'm so proud of my kids! We only stopped 3 times for gas, diapers and nursing and neither of them had a meltdown the whole time.

After arriving at Nana's house, we did what we always do with Grandma (my mom), Nana (my aunt) and GG (my grandmother)...we went shopping. For hours. Surprisingly, both kids did ok-not as great as the drive out because they were fed up with their car seats but overall really good. We got back to Nana's house where we had left Bubba, our Rhodesian Ridgeback. Less than an hour after being back, Bubba fell in the pool and was struggling to get out. I ran barefoot outside hoping I wouldn't have to jump in and save him since I suck at swimming and he almost weighs as much as I do but thankfully my cousin Tommy was home and got to Bubba first. Bubba was clinging to the side of pool and Tommy just scooped down and yanked him out. Nana told us that dogs often drown in pools because they fall in and don't know how to get out but from the look of it Bubba understood the concept of get to the side which gives me some peace of mind but Bubba is worse at swimming than I am-which says a lot! He doesn't kick his back legs...he just sort of flails his front so his bottom half sinks and all that stays above is his little nose. It's pretty pathetic. So, yesterday we went shopping and I bought Bubba his very own lifevest. He loves it and although thankfully he hasn't fallen into the pool again, he's safe if he does. 

2 comments:

JG said...

Achilles fell in the pool at my parents' house (legitimately fell, didn't jump in) and he did NOT like the experience! Thankfully he went straight to the side as well, swam great and even basically propelled himself out of the water.

I'm still in awe. Driving all night - brilliant idea. I don't know if I would have thought of that.

Have a fantastic time! (I know you will :))

Hollye said...

I am only laughing at Bubba's experience because it turned out okay. HAhahaha! Penny HATES the water. She is very cat like in that regard. She would probably drown. The life vest was a good call, but I bet he will be leery of the pool from now on.

Glad you and the kids made it okay. Awesome that they did so well. I miss you!! Have a great time!